View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #7704
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Last year I fixed a fellas 1993 XR650l that dropped a seat. Took out the piston, the head was so cracked it wasn't worth the repair. Big money fix. Even though he had re-jetted the carb he was running it on the freeway like a CB1000. Then he moved farther from work and blew up the motor again running it so hard. I talked him into a multi cylinder bike.
Right you are , but I use my XL as a commuter too. Luckily it is a short commute of 18 miles one way. I do have a couple of multi's I can ride, both vintage too, CB750K1 and a KZ750N. I keep the bikes at the shop and have enough cars that I can pretty well cherry pick my days. If the weather turns nasty at either end I can grab a car and run with it.

That being said when the time comes to choose my steed for the commute home I choose the 600 almost every time due to the fact that it is just more fun to ride even though it is not as well suited to the highway. If I have to take a longer trip with limited gravel exposure the multi is really the answer, though I would still think long and hard before abandoning the single. I also find it interesting that the 600 is geared higher for the road than the KZ. It turns less RPM per MPH than the KZ, although the Kawi does have a lot wider and more comfortable seat, making it the long range choice on the highway.

So far I have been lucky with the big single, other than a freak broken crank it has taken my abuse of it's design limitations. The option is always there with the XL of taking the long graveled road home too.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote