View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by long distance rider View Post
Mark

I've spent the last day and a half reading everyting I can find and am ready to pull the trigger. I found that the Gen3 Spot is about to be released, but it looks to me like the Spot 2 will do what I need just as well for around $100....or $50 less than the Gen3. Of course the argument could easily be made to buy the latest stuff, for $50 why not get the latest technology? Looks like I need to subscribe to tracks and medevac as well to really get the full meal deal. Am I reading this all correctly? Like you said, not very expensive for the peace of mind it will give the little lady and me as well in case my bike takes a shit in the middle of the desert and need help.

Thanks again, Mr Obvious, you're a lifesaver.......

Mike
Mike - - - I do not pretend to be an expert with the SPOT but only know what I have and what works for me. I hope you would never have to use the lifesaver part but if you do I'm glad to have been of assistance.

Not certain what generation mine is but I think it's second... It is always fast to transmit and battery life is excellent, so that's all I can ask for.

I have the basic service $106.00 + - with tax. Then I also signed up for the "Spot adventures", no fee, allows you to record your entries. If you do not use some sort of recording system they will go away in a few days.

The extra fee that will track your progress will lay a spot at designated intervals and I did not need or want that option.

My total fee for a year is the $106.00 give or take a few cents. I got my SPOT on sale at Cabela's for $49.99 with a $50.00 rebate toward activation. Then just ordered a RAM mount & I was good to go.

Hope this helps...