05-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North of Jack Daniel's, South of Country Music
Originally Posted by HogWild
I’m working on a plan for a new cross-country rally in Northern Mexico, currently named the Diabolical Rally. It's a big-time real race, not another of my typical practice/training rides. I’m trying to decide a number of things. What do you want in a rally? What are your thoughts and opinions on these questions?
1. How many days of racing would you like? Remember there’s also a registration/tech day ahead of the first race day, and probably a half day after the final race day for awards.
2. How many hours of racing per day (assuming moderate to extremely challenging terrain)?
diabolic right? dakar size days...
3. How difficult should the navigation be? Different difficulty on each day?
good mix... some easy days some hard
4. How difficult should the terrain be? Different on each day?
the widest range of terrain the better
5. Would you like zero, one, or two optional short non-timed “practice” stages to get used to the roadbooks, unique navigation, and unique terrain in the area? Would you come one or two days early to do the practice stage(s)?
I would take a day earlier to do a shake down run
6. Would you like to camp in a bivouac, Dakar style, or pay for hotel rooms a ways away from the start/finish?
true dakar style... I would pay extra for knowing I have a room arranged and a place every night... more focus on the race
7. Are paved liaison sections a major pain, or a minor inconvenience? How far is too far if you have a morning and evening paved liaison?
wouldn't mind long transits if they allow a wide diverse terrain
8. Which would you prefer:
...a. Moving bivouac (i.e. Dakar and NORRA Mexican 1000, more liaisons, more taco stands).
...b. Fixed bivouac (stationary camp, no need for chase crew, no long drive back to the border after you're done).
this all depends on the number of days.... If it was a long rally I love the idea of being able to bring friends to chase and act as the support crew
9. Would you be willing to pay 3 times more if it was in Western USA instead of Northern Mexico?
If it is... $1000 in mexico and $3000 in the USA I would still consider that type of range but if we are talking $3000 in mexico and then $9000 in USA I would expect a full Dakar style event
10. What could be done to attract traditional Baja racers without turning it into another SCORE race?
dunno... no comment here
How many of you would want in on the Diabolical Rally (assuming Mexico)? We’re aiming for no limits on entry numbers, but we need to get an idea how much interest there is.
I know the heat is an issue but can we PLEASE have a rally during the summer... every single rally whether local or international is during the school year... which SUCKS!!!
the Baja 500 is the only race that is during the summer break...
Motorfiets screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 09:37 AM