View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I’m working on a plan for a new cross-country rally in Northern Mexico, currently named the Diabolical Rally. It's a big-time real race, not another of my typical practice/training rides. I’m trying to decide a number of things. What do you want in a rally? What are your thoughts and opinions on these questions?

1. How many days of racing would you like? Remember there’s also a registration/tech day ahead of the first race day, and probably a half day after the final race day for awards.

About 4 days of racing. With travel to and from the rally, it would be nice to keep overall timing to about a week.

2. How many hours of racing per day (assuming moderate to extremely challenging terrain)?

About 6 - 8 hours of riding per day, including liaisons if used. Maybe shorter racing days if the terrain gets really challenging.

3. How difficult should the navigation be? Different difficulty on each day?

Moderately challenging.

4. How difficult should the terrain be? Different on each day?

Would like to see terrain oriented towards a Dakar-style rally bike, rather than a Baja race bike. But most important is to describe it clearly. If the course is meant for smaller dirt bikes, that will be fine but then that's what I would want to bring to race with.

5. Would you like zero, one, or two optional short non-timed “practice” stages to get used to the roadbooks, unique navigation, and unique terrain in the area? Would you come one or two days early to do the practice stage(s)?

Maybe organize a 1 or 2 day practice session a month ahead of the rally. I'm sure that's tougher logistically.

6. Would you like to camp in a bivouac, Dakar style, or pay for hotel rooms a ways away from the start/finish?

I'm not particular. Dakar bivouac style would be kind of neat, but personally I don't mind the comfort of a hotel bed either.

7. Are paved liaison sections a major pain, or a minor inconvenience? How far is too far if you have a morning and evening paved liaison?

Liaisons are fine. Looking for a Dakar-style experience for an amateur rider, and liaisons are part of the real deal.

8. Which would you prefer:
...a. Moving bivouac (i.e. Dakar and NORRA Mexican 1000, more liaisons, more taco stands).
...b. Fixed bivouac (stationary camp, no need for chase crew, no long drive back to the border after you're done).

No preference. Might be easier for support to not have to move every day.

9. Would you be willing to pay 3 times more if it was in Western USA instead of Northern Mexico?

Would like to seen an event in Western US, but Baja is just fine as well. Personally, the cost for the event is not a deal breaker - it's more about timing, logistics, obtaining support help, etc.

10. What could be done to attract traditional Baja racers without turning it into another SCORE race?

Not sure. I'm just a strong intermediate, amateur rider looking for a challenging but fun Dakar-type experience. Don't mind some really challenging terrain, but want to have the right bike for it. I think you have more growth from the more advanced dual-sport crowd looking for a challenge like a rally, then the Baja race crowd that's looking to go all-out without navigation.

How many of you would want in on the Diabolical Rally (assuming Mexico)? We’re aiming for no limits on entry numbers, but we need to get an idea how much interest there is.
I'm really interested. It's all about timing for me, and being able to work it into my schedule.

As mentioned above, I would really like the Dakar-style experience for amateurs. Challenge is fine, but I'm not looking for the most radical terrain imaginable. I'm looking for the combination of navigation, terrain, and multiple days that provides me a good chance of finishing, but also a sense of accomplishment if I do finish. I'd like to see it oriented towards Dakar-style rally bikes, but would be happy to bring a smaller bike if that's what the course calls for.

Thanks ahead of time for all the effort if this comes about!!!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote