View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #155
azcagiva OP
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,137
I forgot to bring a camera this year so no pics from me. I wanted to post up some comments about the race but did not want to do a huge wall of text. I will try to limit the TLDNR stuff and insert the pics that I have found.

If you have made it this far into the thread you know that we entered two bikes this year. My dad and I planned to do the start together, which we did and you can see some of it in the video Allan Diehr posted up. The NORRA folks changed the starting order so dad and I could leave the start together. I thought that was cool of them.

Here is a pic that another Allan took of us at the start.

Another pic. Thanks for the pics Allan!

I really like this one

Anyway off we go. The course was marked a little better this year so it was pretty easy to get out to the lake bed. I took a bad line and dad followed me and ended up landing on the front wheel hard enough to knock the cover off his roadbook with his head. I tried to wave him off but too late. I did not realize how hard he hit, said he saw stars. After his altercation with the roadbook he was a little loopy...There was some dust and he lost me at a turn. Unfortunately for dad, there was another lost guy that dad mistook for me, and followed him for awhile. After checking his GPS dad figured out the other guy was not me and located me on top of the hill. We hit the lakebed and ran about 70ish all the way in to the finish.

The plan was for me to ride in the chase truck to BOLA from the lakebed. That was changed up and I ended up taking the bike from Allan at San Felipe and riding the super long transit to Gonzaga. I handed the bike back off to Allan and he took her to the finish for day one.

Forgot to mention that we left the hotel at odark thirty. We made it to a little before Progresso when my light went out. So I turned off the damn thing and we rode in on the yamaha's light till we hit the downhill before laguna salada and the yamaha's light went out. Luckily my battery had charged a bit and we made it to the start on my light.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com

azcagiva screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 12:28 AM
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote