View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #3622
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
... But you have 180K MILES on a Monster??? Wow! Never heard of a Duc with mileage that high. What year is it? What has been your experience of failures or high wear things outside the normal items?

A Monster is on my very short list of bikes I want next. Please tell me that they don't get better than 50 mpg...
Actually, I have 207K on it so far. It's a '93, first year of production, bought new.

180K was how far it got without needing much of anything ever. Up to that point, aside from normal wear items, all I had done was piston rings at 122K, new brake discs at 125K, and a clutch basket at 140K. And that 15 cents a mile cost did include that I do have almost everything done at the dealer; I can do my own wrenching, but I'd rather not if I can afford to have someone else do it. I could have run it a fair bit cheaper than that if I did my own work, looked for used parts, etc.

From strictly a financial standpoint, I should have gotten a new bike about then, but I really like that bike and it fits me right, so I decided to go ahead and put in the money to make it last. Since 180K, I've replaced the carburetors, rear shock, done some electrical work, wheel bearings, master and slave cylinders, a few oil seals and gaskets, rebuilt the forks, stuff like that. I also got some CycleCat rearsets and Staintune pipes, neither of which were cheap. I'm due for brake discs again.

No deep engine work yet; the bottom end and transmission haven't seen daylight since it was built. I'm thinking of getting it rebuilt at 250K just for good measure; my goal is to see 500K on it eventually.

It gets 45 to 50 mpg, depending on how I ride it.

I know of several Ducs over 100K, mostly early '90's Monsters and 900SS's. Mine is one of only two I know of that is over 200K. The other is Gary Eagan's ST4 that he set a bunch of endurance riding records on in the early 2000's. He put about 225K on it before switching to another bike; that bike is at the Barber museum now and not accumulating any more miles.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote