View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #201
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Wynnewood Reroute?

Hi folks. I been lurking and following the development of this route. I grew up near Wynnewood, Ok. Been looking for a chance to get back home and ride this route.

I do have a suggestion in the Wynnewood area. The current route does go through some nice scenic areas through the Arbuckle Mountains area south of Davis. But I am pretty sure most of that is pavement. Very nice pavement, yes.

I have mapped out a route that I think would keep you mostly on gravel through that section though, attached. From Wynnewood to the east, I know this section winds through a nice hilly section that is mainly gravel. The very southern part that links back up with the current route that is labeled as a ranch road, I am not sure of. Don't think I ever been down that road.

I think this route might be worth checking out.

Also, if I were to ride the section near Talimena, I would definitely ride the Kiamichi Trail (Ktrail). It is not big bike friendly though. I have ridden it from Indian Highway toward the east on a KLR (with no luggage) and made if fine. But the roughest section is between Indian Highway and Clayton. I understand it is easier to ride going east to west (rather than from Clayton east) since the really rough sections are down hill. Since I am on a WR259R now, I would certainly do Ktrail if I were to ride the OAT. But I might take a day off to ride it without carrying luggage.

Just my 2 cents worth of input.

This is a great effort! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this route together.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Wynnewood Mod.gpx (65.5 KB, 45 views)
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote