View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
robberst OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
thanks for the comment.

I believe anyone with moderate mechanical skills could do something like this, most likely more proficiently than I. It does take a few tools that the average shade tree mechanic probably doesn't own. ( in my case a set of Neway valve seat cutters and a couple of reamers)
Then there is deciding to do it. It's much easier to decide to fix something that is collectable. Deciding to fix a crashed, worn V-strom is a little more difficult, weighing the desire and means to just buy something else.

Quote:
BTW, has you eliminated the vibration you mentioned earlier, and if so, what was the cause of it?
The engine is buttery smooth again, just like it was new. I haven't worked the engine too hard yet. In my 50 miles just a lot of speeding up and slowing down to break in the rings.

I don't know the cause of my engine vibration, but I suspect it was lower compression on the front cylinder from all the carbon build up. I cleaned out the second air reeds and those little chambers were completely packed with carbon crud. It's possible a valve was sticking or just not sealing properly from all the carbon build up.
robberst is offline   Reply With Quote