View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #2778
Perun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thank you Chris!

I got some strange looking Excel rim, with "takasago N 21X1.60 222 JAPAN 310" markings inprinted in the rim and "Excel" sticker on side walls of the rim. I dont know what this rim is for, since rims for KTM's are labeled as IC_408, not 310, and on the net I cant find anything related to this markings.

Anyway, we succeded in making the wheel with this rim, OEM spokes and nipples and OEM hub. Like you wrote, nipples are a bit small for holes on the rim. We will see how will it perform until I dont get proper nipples.

Do you have nipples+spokes set that I could use to make wheel with this rim I got and OEM hub?

Best regards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
The X-Challenge is a bit of an odd-ball set-up on the front as the nipple holes are only 0.250"(really small) and there is no Excel 21x1.60" rim with that small a nipple hole. Some of the stock Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki wheels have 0.280" nipple holes(there are only a couple aftermarket, the better quality double signature Excels that have as small as 0.300" nipples holes, most come with 0.320" nipple holes), so you may be able to find a nipple with 0.280" body diameter and 3.5mm gauge to fit the stock 3.5mm gauge spokes. There are no aftermarket spoke kits that I know for the G650 X-Challenge.

You may be able to order some in Europe from Alpina(Italy) or Bulldog/Central Wheel(UK)(these companies may also be able to custom drill the rim for your stock spokes and nipples and lace pattern), but likely would be special order, as this is an uncommon project since G650 was only around for a few years.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Perun is offline   Reply With Quote