View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #1005
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,187
Blown Transmission

2005 DR650, 12000 miles, rode hard but not put away wet -

I was at the end of a 200 mile trip from home to Bryson City, NC. The last 50 miles were at speeds ~60mph. As I took the ramp off Exit 67, Highway 74. I herd a loud crunch (or crack) and lost power - the motor was still running. I tried the gearshift but it seemed to be locked up. I coasted the 1/2 mile down to the hill to the gas station at Highway 19. When I got off the bike I found a broken chain and the transmission seemed to be locked. I removed sprocket cover and was able to get the sprocket to turn and the gear shifter to work. A friend (thanks Big Don) brought me a chain, and I tried to ride the bike. It cranked OK, went into first gear, then the trans locked as I tried to pull away. I gracefully stepped off the bike as it tipped over in the parking lot. After that, the bike would not start and the starter would not turn. While rolling the bike around the lot, I discovered that there was no 5th gear. Bike is home now waiting for some wrench love. I am going to read through this thread some more to try an learn from the experience of others. I am inclined to try and do the rebuild myself. I would appreciate some advice about finding the best parts. I would also like to hear what others have spent on the repair.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote