Thread: DIY Garage...
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,172
These DIY shops used to be really popular in the 70s and 80s. Especially on military bases. But most/all of them closed down. Before I would undertake a business venture like this, I would do my research and really understand why they went away. I've been told insurance became outrageous and cost prohibitive. But I don't know that for a fact. Unfortunately, nowadays I could see how an insurance company could be leery of insuring a company that loans lifts, power tools and welders to the untrained general public.

You also might want to look into non-profit club versus a for profit corporation because there might be better options. See if you can get ahold of the guys at Spannerland near NYC, they have been having success for years. I think they are more club based though. Anyway, one of the founders of Spannerland, Mr. Cosentino is an inmate on this site. Good luck!
-JW

PS. I'd prefer a machine shop more than a garage. If I had metal lathe, mill or a table plasma cutter I could upload my Pro/E drawings to that and have brackets made up for my bike projects! That would be huge!

PPS. Check out The Crucible in Oakland, CA. A fellow inmate turned me on to that place. Really cool machine shop and metal art fabrication facility. They have metal fabrication tools available for use by student members.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion

jwalters screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 04:21 PM
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote