View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #285
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
We did the section from the junction of 160 and 89 west of Tuba City up to Kanab last week. We chose to do the version west of 89 along the rim of the Grand Canyon. The AZ Benchmark map show this as being part of the Great Western Trail

I think we were following Crawdaddy's tracks in that area. We only went to one overlook. We had a little problem with the tracks about 17 miles north of 89. The track took us into the yard of a ranch house and then down a steep rocky hill. Then there was no road where the tracks said there was. The originators may have ridden in a sand wash.

Anyway we found an easier way around this. But after we got back I heard from the group doing the AZBDR that they rode this section the next day and got stopped by the Navajo Police looking for some motorcyclists who had caused some trouble the day before.

That group had gotten permits to ride on Navajo dirt roads. I knew about the permits but blew it off.

This was a great ride with spectacular scenery and some nice challenging roads getting up to Jacob Lake.

I had intended to explore the area north of 89 in the Seaman canyon area, but it was late and we skipped it. I wanted to see if a group could get thru where Jerry had to turn around.

After Kanab we went down to Toroweap and then into Mesquite by the pretty challenging southern route. We found some great riding in the Alamo NV area. We then crossed Utah and southwestern CO and then back home to NM.

I have posted our tracks on GPSXchange and will put them on DualSPortMaps.com soon.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote