View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Will someone please list all the necessary parts for a smc conversion?
"One front 17" wheel, one rear 17" wheel. Those are the only NECESSARY parts."

If you buy the right wheels, this is correct. I am doing research for SM wheels also for my '13 690E, and I plan on buying wheels that will require no spacers or have fitment issues (if possible ).

Be sure the front wheel has the 690E brake rotor setup or you'll have to get a spacer/bracket to move the caliper.
Be sure the rear wheel has a sprocket that you can use with the stock chain - previous posts here say 40T and 42T will work if you flip the axle block adjusters around, which is about as easy as it gets. The stock enduro sprockets are 15:45, so 42T will be taller gearing but you're running a smaller wheel diameter.

The speedo will be off due to the 17" front tire being smaller than the 21", but you can switch the wheel length speedo read (690E default is 2250) to 1850 (i think?) on the computer somewhere, or you have to mess with a wire.. There's a writeup somewhere on either supermotojunkies or an SMC thread here explaining it.

You'll also want the 690SMC kickstand, the 690E stand is wayyyy too tall for the 17" wheels.

This is everything I've learned while researching for my SM wheel setup, hope this helps. Also, anybody correct me if I've missed anything or stated anything incorrectly.

brianpc screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 09:26 AM
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote