View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #260
dirtdadx
Noob ad Infinitum

Oddometer: 480
Just spoke with Rekluse

I just smoked the clutch on my F650GS twin. It slips badly at around 4500 rpm, getting worse all the time. So I called Rekluse. Here are some bullet points I get from them, as best as I understood, and as much as they can be believed.

1) They are coming out with a clutch for the F800GS (I am sure it will also work with the F650GS) in 30 days.

2) It is one of the models that uses more stock components (I can't remember which one, the EXP?) so it won't be as expensive as some of the other options

3) For the work I am having done to my clutch right now, it won't matter, all of the parts that likely need repair/replacement would need to be replaced if I got the Rekluse, i.e. I won't be losing much by getting the clutch fixed now, then adding the Rekluse later. Maybe a little in labor I guess.

Seems to me that something like the Rekluse is the way to tame a big bike for off road use. I probably smoked the clutch due to how much I used the clutch off road, and you really need to. The big twin is hard to modulate at low speeds with the throttle only, it wants to lurch and lunge everywhere.

But will the Rekluse be more durable than a regular clutch slipping a lot? Or will it wear out just as fast if you ride slow off road a lot?
dirtdadx is offline   Reply With Quote