View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #72
travelingaustralian OP
Globe Trotting

Oddometer: 90
Well I have returned from the plateau with an experience that I know not to many get to do. I have never been colder, the pain was at times unbearable!!! We spent almost 7 hours digging then getting the vehicle started. We had a vehicle break down while up there and it felt like hell on earth!! With in 30 minutes the vehicle that stopped water temp had dropped to -10 from 89c The temps were -50 with 35knot winds which brought the temps even lower. Myself and the other dieso had to take turns working on it as our hands were becoming frozen in about 5 minutes. My camera froze so I did not get to many pictures.

I have also just found out that I will be a part of a 8 man traverse team that will cross the plateau for 400km to a Russian base in the Larsemann Hills in 3 weeks time. So yesterdays little effort will be nothing in comparison to this trip!! We now have to spend the next 3 weeks sorting out survival gear, equipment and fuel for the trip.

As we arrived at the plateau

The wind blowing across the plateau

One of the covered machines.

Working on the frozen Hagg we were heading up to recover. Here we are clearing the snow and ice from around the fan and belts.

Yellow Hagg after we had uncovered it and set about starting it. Temps around -55

Picture of the back of the yellow Hagg and how high the snow and ice was around it before we started to dig. We had moved it 50meter here and then it died!!!!

Here I am getting a quick picture before getting back to trying to get the Hagg going.

"Quad Biking in Antarctica"----->http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...886240&page=10

travelingaustralian screwed with this post 05-31-2013 at 10:52 AM
travelingaustralian is offline   Reply With Quote