View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #111
flemsmith OP
lurk

Oddometer: 531
More pix...

of the workbench?....OK, but it's not very sophisticated. I'm pretty much an eyeball carpenter, made it out of 2x6's and 2x4's. Once I got it put together I realized that the gaps between the top 2x6's were not so cool whenever I dropped something small. So I ripped some thin scrap pieces and used them to stuff in between, now it's pretty close to a solid top. Every once in a while I slap some polyurethane on it so the inevitable oil spill doesn't soak in so much.

Pretty sure it's 8 ft long, cause I wouldn't have cut the top boards, just used some I had around. Nothing portable about it, the only space-savings I have is the ramp, an old 2x12 with a piece of angle iron at the top end to hook over the 2x4's. I keep it clamped to the side most of the time, just drag it out when I'm moving a bike on or off.

To show how much forethought there was, I once rebuilt an old ironhead sportster, got it up on the top and realized I had no place to put the sidestand, all previous bikes had used a center-stand. So I built an add-on porch. Not elegant, but it came in pretty useful from then on.

Primary downsides are that it takes up a fair amount of room, and it's pretty heavy. But then when I'm not working on a bike, it doubles as a sit-down bench using my little roller stools. And gets covered up in as much crap as the rest of my garage. On the positive, it was really cheap. roy
flemsmith is online now   Reply With Quote