View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #62
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
I'll throw in my .02 cents...

I've spent years driving and riding twisty roads like Highway 9 and Skyline Blvd. I have driven these roads for years in a cruiser (I mean a Crown Vic with lights, not a cruiser motorcycle), and ridden them on a motorcycle. Tight twisty roads are fun, don't get me wrong, but what I really enjoy are the well-paved, sweeping (constant radius) turns on a bigger highway. The nirvana of which I speak is Highway 101 from the Golden Gate to the Oregon state line. Once you get north of Mendocino the road gets twisty, the scenery beautiful, and the curves are big enough you can open the throttle a bit and lean in with confidence...and there is nobody up there. I will never get tired of northern CA on the 101. And Crescent City is a nice little town to stay in, or if you're the camping type Jedediah Smith Redwoods just up 199 (another outstanding highway) is a gorgeous place to stop. The redwoods around Crescent City are where the "Forest Moon of Endor" scenes were filmed for Return of the Jedi.

Just off Highway 199 last October:
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote