View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
[QUOTE=AKDuc;21568582]Does Skagway have a Mountain Market equivalent? I love that place. Yeah, I'm a "tree hugg'n granola." Free wifi at the library in Haines too.

Not that I'm aware of but I've only been over a few times. They do have a couple of bakeries that do a bang up job for that same niche, just minus the organic fruits and vegetables. Interestingly enough, they serve mountain market coffee.

Skagway Brewing has excellent food and beverage that I can vouch for. Our sources over there also have told us of a great Thai place and also of a decent pizza joint. If you are too lazy to leave the main drag (Broadway by the boat harbor), yes, you will find an abundance of jewelry stores and crappy t-shirt shops, not all that unlike 4th avenue in Anchorage.

Like I said, if its not your dollar, you have more and better options in Skagway than in Haines. If it is your dollar, there are more rustic accommodations to be had here.

About three weeks ago, we stayed at Seargent Preston's Inn (about a block from the Brewery on the north end of town) and paid maybe 120 bucks for a room. It was expectedly spendy and extremely quirky just like anything else in the region. I would be surprised if you would do appreciably better with respect to price or quirk on this end of Lynn Canal.