View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
ABee OP
Near Normal

Oddometer: 140
Day Three

Bell Buckle, TN Can you see the road?
Bell Buckle was named for a warning the Indians gave to encroaching settlers. According to legend, Indians had carved a cowbell and a buckle (their symbols for the settlers) into a tree trunk near a creek in the area. The creek was named Bell Buckle, and the town that grew up near the creek took the same name. Today it is the home of the Webb School, a prestigious prep school founded by a civil war veteran by the same name. Today the town is also a tourist attraction with Victorian homes and the requisite boutique shops. We had camped at Old Stone Fort State Park, and were on the way back to where I had left off on the TAT the day before when the skies opened up. Thunder, lightning and torrential rain. We were under a severe thunderstorm warning as well as a flood warning. There was no way to ride in these conditions; I was just going to have to wait it out. The rain was heavy until around 1 pm, when it finally subsided. I hit the road with standing water everywhere; I just took it easy and tiptoed through the flooded areas. Again, this segment of the TAT is nearly all pavement. There are a few nice dirt roads as you get close to Adamsville in the Tennessee River area. The terrain changes from foothills to more of a pastoral patchwork of farms and farming communities and then back into the lowlands and swamps around the Tennessee River. You also go through some Amish farming communities. Many of the Amish seemed interested in the motorcycle as many looked up from what they were doing to wave to me. Of course, being on the TAT, they probably see bikes all the time. TAT navigators must be behaving themselves as they ride through this area, based on the reception I received. (Just a guess.) You would not believe how fast the Amish horses can trot while they are pulling those buggies! (Or maybe it just seems that way on the Toad!) The Toad is still running well so far after the oil pump scare the day before. I donít feel good unless a small bore two stoke is getting at least 32 to one to that big end bearing.
I have been riding about 8 hours a day and then I service the bike and tend to domestic chores, so I have been behind in my posts. I hope to get caught up soon. Thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. (Thanks again for planting the seed, Jack!)
242 miles, five gallons of gas, 12 oz of oil through the pump and another 10 ounces mixed in the gas.
Camping in Adamsville, Tennessee, the home of Buford Pusser. (Or so the water tank in town says.)

The roads outside Bell Buckle, after the storm.
ABee is offline   Reply With Quote