View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 07:04 AM   #663
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How can you say a coach that understands the principle , but doesn't ride well is a good coach. How can they not ride well knowing the principle. No , most people don't know the principle , they don't need to to turn a bike. If they steer and not countersteer , they're not going ten feet. You want to understand coutersteering? Ride down a moderately curvy road with your left hand on the gas cap the whole time. You'll understand all there is to know about how countersteering works. I'll make it even simpler for the egghead , real life impaired. Lets forget about the word countersteering and just call it steering , because that's what it is on a bike , it's just done differently. You want to save your life? Get something small that you can get sideways and control it sideways . That's what's going to save your life , through avoidance. I have taught people to ride and I've taught people to ride hard and I've taught a couple to be faster than myself. You can't learn control if you don't know what out of control is. WOULD I STEER YOU WRONG.
Where did I say "doesn't ride well?" You quoted me, nowhere in my post will you see the words "doesn't ride well." YOU TYPED THEM. It is poor form to discuss ideas with someone, and in the process of attempting to counter a statement they made, counter a statement you make instead.

Journeyman is the word I used. It has two main meanings, the first having only to do with learning a craft, and that can be discounted here. Its second main meaning, which I will quote in a moment from Mirriam-Webster online, is a common cliché in discussing athletic activities. E.g., "Journeyman career as a player helped form Arizona's Whisenhunt as a coach" from an AP article about the NFL Coach.

From Mirriam-Webster online: Journeyman, 1: a worker who has learned a trade and works for another person usually by the day;

2: an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful
Clearly, in the context of this discussion, I was referring to the second item. How exactly is that the same thing as saying "doesn't ride well?" One can ride quite well enough to have a deep understanding of the process, and still lack the brilliance of a Valentino Rossi or an Eddie Lawson.

Ken Griffey Jr. had a batting coach. Ken Griffey Jr. could hit better than his coach. Picabo Street had a coach. She could ski better than her coach. I could go on and on, but I think you probably get the point. What people look for in coaches is someone who can understand the concepts and help them (the athlete) better understand themselves what they are doing and how to improve it. I would be willing to bet that if you look at some of the great coaches in any field, many of them had journeyman careers themselves. I think you will find that true whether team sports or individual sports.

I am beginning to think that, in spite of what you said earlier, you are only interested in "scoring points" with clever responses to an argument from a different point of view. But you really should at least respond to the argument, and not respond to your own (incorrect) interpretation of what was said.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote