View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,521
Riding, Geocaching and Exploring . . . .

A friend suggested I do an on-going ride report about my rides looking for geocaches so here we go. To get started you can read about a recent cache ride I wrote a report about and posted it in regionals: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888316

From the Geocaching website: ďGeocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and then share their experiences online. There are 2,103,324 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide.Ē

If you want to learn more and see where geocaches are located visit the website: http://www.geocaching.com/

There are many reasons people geocache. Some like the challenge of seeing how many they can find. Some like to get out with family/friends with a goal in mind. Others enjoy figuring out the real tough ones. For me I like to see where Iíll end up while Iím looking for caches. Many caches are at viewpoints, historical places, and take me to many very interesting places I otherwise wouldnít know about.

If you havenít followed one of my ride reports before you will find I get distracted easily, babble endlessly and often share thoughts and memories as I tell you about my ride. Please join me as I cache my way around the wonderful countryside this world has to offer.

Last week I was burned out with work and decided I needed to take a ride so I took off a couple days and went looking for an adventure.

Common for me I planned a route that was a bit ambitious but I decided to head out and see what I ended up actually doing. Along with an ambitious route I had 47 caches loaded into my GPS which is way more than I would have time to look for but they were there in case I wanted to look for them.

This is basically the route I thought I might do:

Each color would be a different day and where I thought I would be stopping for the night - - - - maybe.

This is closer to the route I actually did:

The weather wasnít cooperating and when I got off work Wednesday and it was raining so I decided to wait until Thursday morning to leave rather than the original plan of heading out after work. During the night I was glad I delayed since one heck of a storm came through. I figured maybe that would get it out of its system and it would be all clear ahead.

Thursday 5/30/13
I pulled the loaded Superbug out of the garage and I was on my way but only after waiting for it to warm up a bit so it was a late start. The roads were still wet in places but the sky was fairly clear, the air was fresh and I was looking forward to the ride ahead.

Heading south on hwy 27 I spotted this old school up on a hill in Latah, WA. I havenít noticed the building before and suspect some trees had been cut which opened things up making the school visible from the highway. I had to go take a closer look.

The grounds were manicured beautifully and I wondered if the school was being worked on to be a museum. I parked, got off the bike, walked over and checked out the bell. I donít know what the SP stands for.

As I was taking pictures of the bell I heard a kitty meowing behind me and when I turned I spotted the schoolís watch cat. He was quite the talker.

I started walking toward the kitty hoping to pet him then I noticed a cat food dish on the porch and a pair of boots. Hmmmmm is someone living in the old school? I guess I better stop skulking around and move on.

Sometimes it feels like I have taken a step or two back in time when I visit rural America.

Just on the edge of town this patriotic barn has always caught my attention.

I wasnít able to find any information about the school but I did find a little bit of information about Latah which is interesting: Latah

A few miles down the road is another patriotic display.

There is a cache here however I havenít looked for this one as itís along the highway and in front of someoneís house. With caches located on private property even with ownerís permission I rarely look for it but I will do a ride by to see what the attraction might be.

The cache page has a little bit of information about the display. ďJohn served us all in the Marines and upon returning from Iraq in the fall of 2005 he noticed that a storm had damaged his flag pole. With a little American ingenuity and a lot of pride John made this masterpiece.Ē

Thank you John and the other men and women who serve our country and keep the United States what it is.

My ride is taking me into the Palouse riding part of the Palouse_Scenic_Byway.

Riding up, down, and around the hills in the Palouse was an enjoyable way to start the day.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote