View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbg View Post
Thanks for replies guys!

@Kaput - I appreciate the warm welcome. Looking forward to building along with you!
@Patrick - What up 1980 RT buddy! Glad to hear most things are affordable.
@disston - Thanks for the honest answer. Your price quotes are really helpful, and you're likely right, taking it to a dealer will probably be necessary. I'm going to try and get as far as I can without damaging anything. Would the dealer be upset if I brought the bike to them with one of the heads apart?
@Plaka - Is there a lot of cross over from VW cars to BMW motorcycles? Or is the book itself useful for all mechanical applications?

Alright, first off, I made a pretty stupid mistake: I live about an hour away from where I work on the bike, and forgot the manual when I came down to work on it. Whoops. Also, I was sans-bike-friend, and am no where nearly confident enough to take the pushrod assembly apart without the manual. That being said, I did remove the valve cover and got a look at the pushrods. Is it just me, or does the left pushrod arm seem a little bent outward? I linked to the album so I don't break your guys' tables: http://imgur.com/a/qdnls/embed

I also managed to borrow a snake light and attempted to get a look at the piston head, but it was too far down the cylinder to differentiate anything apart. The valves seem intact though! I should be back down either Monday or Wednesday for a second go at it. I'll post pictures and keep you guys updated!

Here she is in all her glory:
Rotate engine by turning rear wheel to bring piston to the top. At various piston positions, you can see the valves open and close and examine them as well.

Lotta crossover with old air cooled VW. Both horozontal air cooled motors, the BMW a twin, the VW a four. Pushrod operated valve train. But the mechanical knowledge is the most important part. How to evaluate and tune things, exactly how it all works. Using different sorts of tools, making measurements, setting valves, etc. Different carbs and transmissions/drive lines. You'll see what doesn't apply, but as a basic course in working on these things that assumes you know nothing, priceless. Doesn't talk down to you, just doesn't miss anything.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote