View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
If I recall he was experiencing the GS grounding on the steps as he went down. Then he stopped and I went by foot to scout the corner, to see the right line and I let him know it was OK down there.

He is just 5"9 so the pig was potentially going to tip over if he stopped when his feet were dangling over the next step. I went back and stood on his right to hold the bike until he got set and underway. I subconsciously was pulling the bike in away from the ledge and he yelled at me to stop pulling him over lol.
That pretty much sums it up. A Pro AMA road racer got down it with assistance on a loaded GS. I got down it solo on my XR350 and was very careful to keep my speed down to a crawl and kept my feet on the pegs.

The problem is that it is very steep, very loose in spots, and a very long way to fall if you go over the edge. There really isn't a graceful way to lose control so you really just need to be very careful and keep the speed way down. Treat it like a trials section.

You will know you are there when you start a steep descent with a small waterfall running along the left side. It slowly turns right and gets steeper as you descend. By the time you get there, you have no choice but to keep going.

Knowing what I know, and having made it down before, I would take Imogene Pass. However, if you feel that you are capable of tackling it, it is a very beautiful trail and is actually pretty easy except for the steps.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote