View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #44
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Last year as a ride leader out of the Rendezvous, my group went over BBP.

In the group were two DRZ400's, a DRZ250, a couple of big Honda 650's, an 800GS, and two 1200GS's!!!!!!!!

The issue for anyone on a "big bike" is gearing. This section in particular is a steep loose decent. Doing that, while distracted by the scenery, with little or no engine braking is difficult. To do this while effectively freewheeling and only using the brakes on loose surfaces with turns around obstacles is a test of the riders ability. My 16 year old daughter on the 250 chose to walk it down. The 400's made it. The 650's tried it some and then walked. The very good rider on the 800 made it. The VERY good rider on a very stripped down 1200 made it with some mild drama, and the other 1200 was an epic failure.

So, a bigger bike makes it harder, but the better the rider, the better your chances. I really think that a big component is the visual intimidation that you experience when you come around the corner and see what lay ahead!

It will be a ride from the Silverton gathering, so if you want some buddies along for support, that would be the time to do it!!