View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
3 months to explore the USA

Hey everyone

I'm writing this as I'm lying in my tent on my first night out on my 3 month adventure in the USA.
The basic story is: I quit my job in England, moved out of my house, sold my bike (Suzuki Bandit), and bought a bike in Norfolk, VA.
I flew over 4 days ago and I have been staying with a friend while I have been sorting out the paperwork and getting my stuff together.
I know some people may be interested, so I will add more detail about how I bought, registered and insured the bike later (I'm writing this on my phone and it's running out of battery!)

I have a couple of friends out here. One who is doing a similar trip, but unfortunately had an accident with the rear of an SUV and is now waiting for his teeth to be fixed. Again more details will follow when I have time and battery power. And another friend who is hopefully coming over in July for one month and joining me.

The bike i bought is a Yamaha V Star 1300.

As a way to get used to the bike and riding in a foreign country, on the wrong side of the road! I took a trip along the colonial parkway through Williamsburg etc.
What a great trip. Beautiful scenery, great roads, and lots of interesting history and sights. An excellent way to get used to the bike.

Anyway, after a very delayed start I set off on my new bike today, all loaded up and headed for Washington DC.

I guess I've got far too much stuff for the trip, but I'll trim that down while I go.

I got to Washington a bit late and didn't have time to find a suitable place to stay, so I have made the first mistake of the trip already. It's my own fault and i should of looked around but I had to pay $45 to stay one night in a campsite! :eek:
In definitely going to try and use the tent space thread/map for the rest of the trip.

So I'm going to explore DC tomorrow, and find a cheaper place to stay, before heading onto the skyline drive and then down the blue ridge parkway. Which I have heard much about :)

I will try to keep this thread up to date as much as possible depending on WiFi availability.

All the best
Mon the biffy
mon the biffy is online now   Reply With Quote