View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #4522
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjcalweb View Post
Hi - i've read quite a number of owner posts/reviews, along with just about every "professional" review, including video.

but i have yet to see/hear:

are any of you choosing to 'paddle' shift the bike to still control shift points? or am i not understanding the point of the ability to still shift up/down using controls? also, not that this is a performance bike, i'm just curious, if using the paddle/manual provides anything superior in terms of performance (or fun/excitement, choose your adjective) that just riding around in the "S" mode wouldn't do?

i'm not trying to race the dang thing, i think i'm just trying to break a mental image that's been created with so many "its a scooter" type comments.

hope those questions made some sense!
I've never ridden a dct so I can't answer from experience, but anybody who says its a scooter is ignorant, unkowledgeable, and a flaming noob, including moto journalist who could ride me into the ground if they were on a scooter Its just a dumb thing to say. Its a motorcyle with an automatic transmission. Did people call the guzzi auto a scooter? No, of course not. The concept's been around a long time. Lack of demand and technology is why it hasn't become popular. Times change. Demand changes. Technology improves. Maybe the auto motorcycle's time has come. The market will determine that.

I'd like to ride one. I've never ridden an automatic bike. I have ridden the manual NC and liked it pretty good. For about 15 years all I ever owned was standard trans cages. Now all I own are automatics and in a cage I've decided I like them, although I still like to drive sticks.

The purpose of the paddle shifters is simply to give the rider an option and more control. In the twisties maybe the auto won't always be in exactly the gear you want - with the paddles you can shift it if want. If you just want to shift gears because you like it, you still can. You just don't have to if you don't want too. I think it makes the bike adjustable to your mood and the road.

See if you can get a test ride and report back.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote