View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Some of us learned lessons the hard way, some of don't have people to ride with, some of us misjudge the map. Good on you for your way of doing things.... It's smart.

That being said, I ride a lot alone, just NEVER any single track anymore. Two years ago I had to abandon my bike on single track that was WAY over my head. The map made it look easy. It wasn't. After several times having to pick the bike up, winch the bike up, and other issues, I got burned out. I had improper gear, improper skills, and the wrong bike. (I can't afford a different bike for each type of riding)

The bike looped on me after a creek crossing and landed on me. I was pinned for about 15 minutes before getting out from under it. I couldn't get it restarted. I didn't have a spot, didn't have cell coverage, but had left a plan of the general area I would be and a time I would check in.

I was so beat that I laid down next to the creek and have up getting out. Eventually, I was able to collect myself, and start walking the four miles to a trailhead. My check in plan had worked, and after blowing the time wheels were in motion to start looking for me. I got to the trail head and got a call out. S&R stood down and someone came to pick me up. Some new found friends were able to recover the bike the next day.

The items I carried were critical to me that day, and made the difference between getting out and waiting for someone to find me. I have spent years backpacking, and went in with that mentality. Any time I am in the woods, alone or not, these things go with me now.

The obvious bike tool kit
A good folding knife...sharp
A magnesium fire starter block
50' of 550 p-cord
**3 liters of water, with the means to replenish-- I carry a backpacking water filter. Refilling my empty camel
Back and drinking it empty twice helped get me thinking right again. I know the desert guys don't have this luxury, but it works where I ride***
Large piece of hi viz fabric folded up
A SPOT tracker-- SOS is only for life threatening.
First aid kit.
Carabiners

All of this easily fits in my ogio flight vest, with extra room.

I also go armed with some knowledge and experience in the S&R field, I am an EMT, and have some survival training (shelter, signaling, and such)

The single most important thing is telling someone my plan, making sure they have A LOT of info (I was not detailed enough two years ago), and when I am expected back.

With this, I know I can take care of myself or anyone with me. Fortune favors the prepared. Just my two cents.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote