View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post

I'm old enough to remember when we didn't have cell phones and SPOT and the like. Technology is a wonderfull thing, but it does bring its own problems. Today, many are comparatively fearless and thoughtless about adventuring forth ill prepared, because they have confidence in their ability to call AAA and have themselves rescued.

In a nut shell, I think the old Boy Scout moto says it best, and briefest. Be Prepared.

P.S. (because I couldn't figure out a good way to include it above) You had a heck of a time with that situation after you got into at the bottom in no small measure because of the size of the bike you were on. So did the guy in the other thread. Think of how much easier it would have been for either of you with something like an 80 cc bike. You can almost pick up and carry a bike of that size. Sure, it's not as fast or as cool as a big bike is. But for serious outback exploration, littler and lighter is often times a better choice than bigger and heavier.
This much is absolutely true. Just because Ewan and Charlie went across Siberia, with chase vehicles and 25 crew guys, doesn't mean that 550+lb bike is a good choice to go on the Rubicon Trail with. I've actually considered getting a GS or 990 Adv, but I imagine myself lying underneath one out there, and decide, nope that won't work, so I ride 250s and 450s. Even the XRL650 I owned was too large for tight trail work, or going on the especially small pig trails I like to ride on.

Whatever you like. Right now it's my 950 SM, in the next 2 or 3 weeks, probably a KX250 2 stroke, just for fun.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote