View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #2658
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
3 days in!
The T Rail is a fantastic ride. At this point, we are very pleased to be on 250's rather than 650's, as washouts, trail closures etc require a few steep rocky climbs, and quite a lot of deep shingle and sand in patches.

The scenery is amazing, and locals have been very welcoming, but accommodation is certainly more expensive than what we experienced on the TAT 3 years back (but of a higher quality). Note: we don't camp unless demanded

We would suggest anyone on a big bike should consider hitting the highway after Howley as the dam soon after is closed, which demands a tricky water crossing followed by some deep shingle and sand for extended periods.
I concur with the big bike avoidance of the Howley to Deer lake suggestion but when you get to the TCH from Howley there is a dirt road on the other side of the TCH that takes a rider to Sir Rchard Squires Park and comes out at Cormack and the Viking Trail. This used to be the original TCH route.
I have been following your Spot page and glad you are enjoying what our island offers for scenery. The views will change tomorrow on the Northern Peninsula.