View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #81
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill Dave View Post
My nephew was in the leading Hawaiian canoe yesterday (fifth at the line) and he texted me a pix of the whole crew getting IVs at the hotel(?) in the evening. Cheeooo

At least he rests today, I hope.

I am under the impression that the four leading canoes are filled with (basically) professional Tahitians paddlers.

(PS White Rd was too wet so I moved to a "drier clime")
IVs, they're not just for Hangovers!!!

Yep, that's what those guys do for a living, the Olamau kind of caters to them by scheduling the Olamau when the Tahitians can make it, we have some incredible waterman here in Hawaii but it's just a "Leisure" sport for them....

Did you used to ride Mud Lane? Seriously fun single track in that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Pretty freakin cool! Scary looking but cool.

Funnily enough living in this place has showed me my one big fear. It's It's being on a boat on the open ocean. Great fear to have living on an island right? I guess I'm a mountain man at heart. I spend a ton of time all over Mauna Kea here.
I grew up on the North Shore of Oahu and surfed all through highschool, work, and then college, I've paddled pretty much every coast of the Big Isle and I also ran my own boat out of Hilo fishing Ika Shibi (Night time handline Tuna fishing for 100+ lbs Yellow Fin) so I'm comfortable on the ocean.

Scariest thing I ever did on H2O was paddle down the Rhine River past the Lorelei in Germany, that water was just plain freaky!!!