View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #87
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
6-14-13 527 miles

I left the hostel room at 830.The bike wouldn't start. Spark plug looked very weak.This is a dumb Doug story. I found I had the choke on all the time since I left home. I guess it fouled the plug. I took off the panniers, tail bag, tank bag, and my over pants. Pushed the bike 500 feet up a hill to bump start it.I had run the battery down. It started easily.

After about 450 miles I came to a cafe on a bend in the road. I saw 4 loaded bikes. It was Bruce and Mike from England with 2 Russian guys returning from university in Vladivostok. I e-mailed with Bruce before the trip. I knew he was going about the same time I was.

Since they were going to Ulan Ude for the night I rode with them. 500 feet after we pull on the road, the police pull us over. We exited where there was a solid line. A guy we talked with at the cafe came over and talked to the cop for a minute. Then he told us to go.

When we got in the city, the Russian guy calls a biker club. Soon a BMW pulls up and leads us to their club house. We slept there after many bikers came to see us.Some of them stayed after having too much vodka.

I am going to see one of their mechanics before leaving. Too much noise coming from my engine to think about going through Mongolia.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote