View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #3798
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Rider View Post
Cutting air flow around the engine has never been very appeling to me, so that is why I am trying to go with forcing cool air under the seat. I have had to back burner this project, and LD riding for this season but hopefully by next years riding season I will have a soulution tested and installed.
I guess my solution does inherently restrict the airflow around the rear head because it's forcing most of it to go through the comfort kit duct. I'd suspect when the fan kicks on, there's not an issue. OTOH, with my mod removed, the fan rarely kicks on in the first place.

I've been thinking about alternative solutions to the issue too. One alternative would be to figure some way to funnel the air exiting those frame openings through some sort of ducts so that it exited below the under-seat pan or at the rear of the bike without actually blowing against the bottom of the seat.

A few years back, at least one guy on Badweb took a different approach that seemed to work for him. He punched a bunch of ~1-1/2" diameter holes in the under-seat pan behind the battery. In each of these, he installed a 90 degree PVC elbow (on the underside IIRC) pointed backwards. He claimed this allowed a lot more air to flow under the seat (both hot air from the engine and cooler air from around the sides of the bike). He claimed the seat temperature was greatly reduced and the fan came on less often. Of course, this negates any under-seat storage capacity.