View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #20
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Nice Reporting as usual! I'm planning on geocaching around here this summer.
The "Crosses" you saw are aerial photography control panel points set by surveyors and used in photogrammetric mapping. GPS coordinates with "Survey Grade Accuracy" (+/- a couple centimeters) are established on the actual point in the center of the panel which is then used by the photogrammetrist to orient the aerial photo's to the regionally accepted horizontal / vertical coordinate system. Same application for those seen by travelers on paved routes that are painted on the asphalt along the sides of highways/streets, etc. A great deal more technical info to this brief explanation, but that becomes very boring in a real hurry.
Hi,

Great to have you along again.

Thanks for the explanation about the crosses. Interesting knowing what they are all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkiera View Post
Always a pleasure to ride along with you LB, thanks
One of these days we will be able to ride together in real life. It looks like I will be making a few trips over to your side of the mountains this summer. Once I know the dates I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
Great RR, enjoying the pictures and the write up. Awesome

I look forward to following along. I need to go treasure hunting for some more geocaches, it's a good time.
Thank you. Yes, it is a good time maybe this thread will get you out looking for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post
What a good way to find new unusual spots to ride to!

Hi, thanks for joining in. One of these days we need to go looking for a cache together. Maybe next weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlywill View Post
love the ride report I too geocache. Last year found a cache while out riding and read the logbbook inside, went to the website and joined in. geocaching takes you to some interesting places. Here in Arizona its very popular. I build a route on the website and they have a nice feature that downloads caches along it. I might only pick up a few but its fun. Some of the micros can be tough to find, and just started on my first multi-puzzle cache.
That's a cool way to be introduced to geocaching. Like you I only pick up a few along the way. There are always way more available than what I look for. Arizona has a lot of those cool "designer" caches. The ones where a hider creates a pattern with the cache hides. When looking at them on the map they look like a flower, bug, or whatever.

Micros are buggers to find at times. I give up on them quickly if I don't find them. I don't like spending hours looking for a needle in a haystack. One guy I caches with when I first started had a time limit for how long he would look for a cache and if he didn't find it by the end of the time he moved on. For some I will only breifly look and others I take more time and work harder on it. If it looks like a cache is along a steep bank with loose terrain I will pass on it. There were a couple like that during this ride and it's just not worth taking the chance climbing into terrain that could be dangerous. I don't think anyone would place a cache that they think is in a dangerous area but what's safe for one person isn't for another. I'm a klutz so I know there are some places I just shouldn't go.

I'll be doing my first multi either tomorrow or next Sunday. I have one in my sights that needs to be found. I haven't done the multis in the past but it's now time to expand my game.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote