View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #115
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Somehow I took a wrong turn and never got to the Cherohala skyway. Instead I ended up riding down some very nice rural roads through the mountains.

We saw a sign for a waterfall and decided to take a detour. It was 3 miles of rocky hilly dirt road..very fun on the vstrom even two up with luggage.

Trail to Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gnarly dirt road to the falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gnarly dirt road to the falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The steep hike to the falls was well worth it. We stripped down and went for a swim in the chilly water. My wife went to step down onto a rock and nearly stepped right on a copperhead!!! No pics as I didn't want to bring the camera in the water but wow that was scary. After that we paid more attention whilst climbing the rocks.

Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Conasauga Falls by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Conasauga Falls where Sandra almost stepped on a Copperhead snake by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Eventually we rode into Tellico plains were we found out we had not in fact been on the Skyway. But it was a cool little town and we stopped at the visitor center for some water and maps. The ride to Chattanooga was uneventful other than being hot and windy, there was a car on fire on the highway and some nice rural roads between Tellico and the freeway.

Here was our campsite for the night in Chattanooga. We stayed at the Raccoon mountain campground.

Our Campsite in Chattanooga at Raccoon Mountain. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote