View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #42
desertkev
Charity Founder

Oddometer: 34
I will get in on the fun,
About five years ago while on my Bonnie T-100 I met a guy with a 640 Adventure. Up till that point I was a typical U.S. street rider who had never heard of KTM. I started learning the ways of orange and never looked back.

The Triumph was an OK motorbike, but I really missed the engineering of the Speed Triple which I had to sell due to my knee replacements and the very challenging seating position. I rode a new 990 SMR and fell in love with the motor, the price was... well you know, so the looking for used began. The day I put my T-100 on craigslist I had a chance meeting at the local BMW open house with a guy selling a 07 Superduke. It had 5k miles, full remus and block offs. The guy had been trying to sell it for a while and I ended up trading the 05 Bonnie with 15k miles stock and some cash for my first KTM!

So why does my motorbike deserve a free Rottweiler Intake System kit? As soon as I got my 990 I started planning my dream trip across America, I sent out the seat to get it built up, ordered lower foot peg and made up a good soft luggage system with the help of my welding neighbor. Due to the downtime I put less than 150 miles on this very unfamiliar motorbike before I left on my journey, somehow I knew it would not let me down. I did 9000 miles over the course of a month and a half, 80% State Routes or smaller. The only mechanical issue was the replacement of the original battery, but even that of the hundreds of places in the middle of nowhere stops I did, the battery died in my friend’s driveway in Houston!
I am the Founder of a 501c3 non-profit, we have groups all across the country and next summer I will be making this journey again this time on behalf of my organization visiting as many of the groups as I can. There will be a lot of pictures and media and it will sure be nice to have a prettier 990, not to mention a little more fun for me!

Here is a little video I put together of the more spirited moments of the on road adventure.

York Maine

Route 66 Tucumcari NM

desertkev screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 12:11 AM
desertkev is offline   Reply With Quote