View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3392
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,064
This is not how you want to see your wife and mother of your children:

That was a still shot from the video below. My wife and I dumped the kids at Grandma's and went riding up around Graham Mt yesterday. She was having a bad day up to this point, and I can't say it got much better after this. We left from Smelterville and headed due north, eventually linking up with trail #17 (Graham Ridge) and turning down #41 (Coal Creek) to do some trail clearing. She was having a horrible time with her bike; it was running really rich and was stumbling at lower RPMs, and I didn't have the right tools with me to mess with it. It was making the technical sections (which are normally difficult on her high-strung 250F) nearly impossible, especially at higher elevations.

We eventually made it to and cleared Coal Creek trail after cutting more downfall than riding, and we made it down to the CDA River Road. Our plan was to go a mile and a half up the road to Graham Creek (trail #33) and cut until I ran out of saw gas, then go back to Coal Creek for our return trip. This would give the hikers we passed more time to come back down the mountain.

The saw stopped about half way up Graham Creek trail, so we got our bikes turned around on the cliff edge and decided to see how far we could make it up trail #18 (Graham Coal Connect) that is a bit of a "shortcut" to Coal Creek. About a mile up the trail was washed out, and this happened when Susan tagged the rock on the high side:

She is pretty banged up after doing a belly flop on the rocks and has a deep gash in her helmet. She has a scraped up neck, a bruise on her collarbone, a giant bruise on her inner thigh and a big lump on her shin. I think her pride was hurt more than anything.

Then about a half hour after this, we were almost back to the road when a hidden sawed-off tree caught the bottom corner of her right radiator (the expensive one, of course). This peeled it away from the mount and caused a fairly significant leak. We decided to take the road back at least to the Snakepit so I could ride back and get the truck. I filled my camelback with river water and stopped every mile or so to top off her radiator. Silly water-cooled bikes! When will they learn?!

I think she is ultimately convinced that an unmodified MX bike has no place in the woods. She is finally ready to trade up to a '13 KTM 200 XCW! Now if we could only hit that Powerball....

On a positive note, Trail 41 is now open!

XR4EVER screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 10:45 AM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote