View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
..............................hey SHOOBY.....................how life in san diegar.................? beautiful place that..............good times..............!!
when you are over here I will surely let you buy me a pint of porter...............no arguments.............!!!
you must allow time for your holiday over these parts............every road leads to a new story.....no need for maps as you always end up at the pub....!!
there is plenty of history in these parts too.............ignore the weather as it does what it does regardless......
I took a small spin last year into the wilds of Donegal.........very open country........poor lands...........irish spoken most places..........rugged

the hill is called errigal - highest mountain in Donegal.................barren looking lump I do think...............and f**k all use to the people...........!!
truth is. I was heading for glenveagh national park.........it was supposed to be worth a visit or so I was told.....
so after scooting round Donegal town...up through glenties (na gleannta) and on into dungloe (an cliach ?!) up over hills etc I finally came to glenveagh
big deal............big house in the middle of nothing................but a sickening history of the landlord era..........and not so long ago either...
this is the big lump of a house

long story short...............this bollox from county laois (used to be queens county, when the queens ruled Ireland) named adair bought up all the land and fecked out
all the tenants...all 244 of them............it was called the derryveagh evictions and happened around 1861.....around time of our famine era..........!!

so this adair...........john George adair to be precise, built this big pad (he held the rank of captain in the british diplomatic service).........he built this monument to hatred in
the middle of the poorest land in the country....kicked out all the local people...........including children...........most families eventually died of hunger but some made it
to Australia to a new start.

the ould basterd wanted to create a hunting estate in the highlands of Donegal...!!
he even built a kind of swimming pool thing...........see pic....but also note the state of the land over the other side of the lake......how could anyone survive living on this...

anyway..when you get to the entrance of glenveagh........it looks quite nice

you go into the visitor centre..flora............fauna..............etc etc.......but then you get to the section about the evictions...............the terror........the fear..........
the death of children.........and mothers............and fathers............whole community wiped out by one basterd...........
it was an emotive thing for sure.........................I was getting into a bit of a rage to be honest...............why......can't explain it...........it was as if I remembered..
so then you get on a bus to the house/castle and there is a tour all through the house..............but I couldn't.....I just could not go into that house.......no
I walked round outside and felt nothing only cold and damp and sick.................I got the next bus back to the car park.......got back on the bike and put some miles between me
and this monument to abuse.......
apologies if I got carried away there but it cuts to have this thrown up at you and for it to be considered part of a tourist trail.............jesus.is that not sick......
so on up the road when the rage ebbed and I calmed down I got it back together...

adair made more fortunes in the US and had tens of thousands of cattle and big farms........I just hope he died of festering piles............after a long long illness...!!
apologies again for being so heartless...............I'm not really..............but
more pics

note the telegraph poles on right hand side.......not one of them is upright..........!!!

as you can see the land does not support much, it never did really, that's why people always left here and fortunately were welcomed to many different countries all
around the world........for that we are ever thankful.........but this is what the people had to leave behind....!
don't mean to preach here............just one gray trip on a gray day in a gray country...........!!

with that I headed home...........and slowly the red mist lifted............and lifted...........and cleared..............and soon it was all so much better (porter helped too...!!!)
I have to try not to get uptight about things - to accept the things I cannot change...........and all the rest of it.......
SHOOBY.............it's much better than that really..............I'll post more uplifting stuff very very soon....
mka is offline   Reply With Quote