View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
I won't say Andy is an idiot, tho' he may be. I will say I don't understand it.
I have entered Mexico more than once. I just drove or rode in. No stop, no gate, no question, no nothing.
Now, the last time, I did have to stop for about 15 seconds to be x-rayed. But that was by the USA before I entered Mexico. The Mexicans don't care. Come on down, is their policy (oh, bring money).
This new x-ray supposedly is to be sure that no one is taking guns or drugs into Mexico.
I don't know what government idiot came up with that. No one takes drugs into Mexico. They go to Mexico, buy the drugs, then bring them back here.
Guns come into Mexico from south America and from the Middle East, not from the north.
It's just a new way for the government to waste 190 million dollars.
dc
Now I remember why I seldom post on this forum.

The question was about going all the way to Argentina, not just Mexico. Everything south of the US border is not Mexico.

You can legally enter Baja California and Sonora with your vehicle for up to 72 hours without doing any paperwork. Mexico is kind of unique, in that they don't physically control their borders, so yes you can just ride across and go, unless you get the red light for a search. Any other Mexican state, or longer than 3 days, and you need a temporary import permit. It is your responsibility to know this, as they don't stop you to tell you this at the border. You would probably get stopped at a checkpoint 30 or 50 miles into the country and get turned around and told to get the permit. If you get to the interior without a permit, they can impound your bike if you get checked.

That is just Mexico. The other dozen or so countries I have been to in Latin America will have an actual barrier and guard, and you will not just sneak through.

BTW, thousands of guns are bought legally in the USA, and smuggled south for nefarious purposes, along with a few hundred that got down there with our governments help.