View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #99
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I've done it in 2.5 days. Here's fourteen tips I've learned from experience, or been given by some hard corps LD riders:
  1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.. you could use a camelback, but limited capacity and weight on your back. I used this: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...dration-System IIRC, 160 ounces of liquid goodness. A folded hotel hand towel under the front of the coleman kept everything level. Fill with ice/water and ride. This is just one options, some bungee a cylindrical cooler to the passenger peg, working especially well if you have panniers;
  2. Don't dawdle at gas stops. That wasted time adds up. Gas up, use the facilities, and go. My stops were about 8-10 minutes. You can eat and drink on the road. I find in the heat I don't eat much, but drink H2O constantly;
  3. Bicycle shorts. They work;
  4. Monkey Butt/Gold Bond Medicated Powder. Either works well;
  5. Beef Jerky/Banana Chips. Texture, protein and potassium. Pack it on the bike, saving more time at stops;
  6. Down a gatorade as needed, especially if the temps are super high;
  7. If temps are super high, pack your suit with ice at each stop. You get about 60 minutes of evaporative cooling;
  8. I start at 4 - 5 am each day, as I prefer knocking out miles early, keeps me in a good mindset all day. I ride until 10 or 11, later if needed;
  9. Stop on the far side of the big city. You avoid traffic the next morning (but leaving early obviates that);
  10. Make sure you are super visible. Reflective tape on your panniers, helmet, and reflective strips on your suit will help you be seen, and survive;
  11. Pack light (or half of what you think you'll need). You don't need much, and if you break down, see 13 below;
  12. Call your credit card company to tell them you'll be travelling so they don't see the multiple gas purchases and shut down the card. Bring cash for when they shut it down anyway;
  13. Get towing coverage from your insurance. Will save you tons if/when your bike breaks down; and
  14. Finally, consider getting an ezpass/fastpass. Depending on your route, will save you tons of time at toll roads.
Good luck.
All good tips! I enjoy riding long distances as well, and for me one of the best things I did for myself was pick up a good modular helmet so I could eat without difficulty when riding...

Call me kookie, call me crazy, but other than the OPs ass burning up, this could be fun! But then I rode 1400 miles for a donut, so what do I know?