View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Compare your phone to a Garmin Montana, not the old 76. I have both those GPS units, and have been using phones as a backup since the days of Windows 6.
The 76 is a clunky old unit that's long past it's sell-by date.

Currently I'm running an Android phone, been using Google maps and a few other programs as well.

The Montana also has a wide variety of maps that can be downloaded.
I used mine with no Garmin maps at all in SE Asia.

One thing, battery life and mounts. The Montana goes 16 hours on the rechargeable lithium, and you can use AAs if that runs out of power for an additional 16 hours.

No need for otterboxes or anything else that affects the interface / usability, I use the GPS wile I'm riding and hated the otterboxes I tried.

The Garmin bike mount is pretty solid, no USB connection to wear out like I have had on a phone for bike power.

When I travel, quite often I rent bikes, much easier to get the Montana mounted as 16 hours of battery life means I can ride all day without having to add bike power.

The Montana remains useful off the bike as well. Great GPS for hiking and marine purposes.

You have the option of using marine and waterway maps as well, if you are into things like kayaking.

And the software is still more powerful and user friendly than I can find on a phone.

Plus, the GPS unit is much faster and more sensitive than anything I've seen in a phone, critical if you are navigating a big, built up city.

Sent from my A898 Duo using Tapatalk 4 Beta
My experience is the complete opposite...I find the GPS apps for my phone far faster and more powerful than any GPS I can find, and my "interface" is seamless (as if I don't use a case...the Lifeproof is that good).

And when I'm done recording a track, I can edit it right there if I wish (no clunky hooking-to-the-computer interfacing needed), and instantly share it with whomever I like...and I can be sharing real time locations with other users if I wish (on screen viewing of other people's locations in real time).

I can appreciate you just liking to use a GPS, but there is no GPS that can match a smartphone GPS app for power and features.

Canuman: modern smartphones are "real GPS". There is a real GPS communication chip, and maps can be cached for use in "no cell signal" areas.

I use my old iPhone 4 as my iPod and GPS...no service
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is online now   Reply With Quote