Thread: Tank Guards
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
The Misinformant OP
What road?

Oddometer: 349
I am looking at forming a kind of loop that goes under the pet cock to continue the gaurds to about 1/2 way along the bottom of the lower side of the tank and running all the way up the front of the tank to the bottom of the fairing as it gets a punding on high speed gravel roads all the time.. The intention is to leave an opening to be able to still turn the cock reasonably easily. I may even put in a small brace made out of 30thou aluminium just to help with the moulding around the pet cock.

Probably be about 3-4 layers of a twill or satin weave carbon HM cloth with 3-4 layers on top of a twill or satin weave kevlar 49. (These weaves are more drapeable and easier to use on the complex curves on the lower edges of the tank.)

This should give good impact and strength with good abrasion resistance.

It wil be an epoxy matrix as I have found an aviation source that flogs off their out of date pre-mixed stuff. Hopefully it will have the right properties for the application.

I may also use some additive on the finish coat like aluminium dust for UV protection as we get an aweful lot of it here in Southern OZ. (Bedliner if desperate-bling is nice, practical is essential).

It all dependes on how hard it will be to get materials to where I live.

I just got to get a chance in the new year to get to my aviation guys place and have a chat.

If all else fails there is a West SYstems dealer in OZ who is a boat builder who is a source for materials if need be.

If this all goes really well I might have a look at some other stuff after like panniers (sandwich construction) and if real keen a rally skid plate.
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote