View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
mon the biffy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Day 8

Rain!

The day started out with miserable weather. Luckily Kenny and his girlfriend PJ laid on a gorgeous breakfast to make an excellent start of the day. They also kindly let me hang around while the rain passed over.
I then set off with the skies looking clearer onto the blue ridge again heading south.
Wow. The blue ridge south of Asheville is extremely beautiful. It goes up higher and the overlooks are amazing.
Unfortunately due to the rain I didn't stop for many photos. I got a couple when the clouds broke though.

The Great Smokey Mountains living up to their name.

I then came off the blue ridge at US 215 going north, which is a great fun road down the hill. Although in the rain I was definitely taking it steady.

The plan was to go to the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley. However when I got there it turns out it is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays :

I carried on west to eventually get to the Iron Horse motorcycle campground. That is a great place to stop if you're traveling through. Excellent facilities and everyone there was very friendly. It's in a dry county though, so no beer!! :eek:

While I was there it was the International Brotherhood of Motorcycle Campers annual meet. Therefore there were loads of people to chart to about their previous trips for some inspiration and excellent advice.

I managed to get my tent set up in a brief dry spell, before food, and then sitting down and watching some basketball with a guy who seemed to know absolutely everything there is to know about the sport!

I'll try and put more pictures in my next post.
mon the biffy is offline   Reply With Quote