View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #470
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by darmst6829 View Post
AHRMA has a tough time creating sections that suit the premier heavyweight motorcycles and modern classics let alone adding post vintage to the mix. The heavyweight bikes are difficult to ride in anything other then traditional trials sections and the post vintage riders would be bored silly. Most modern trials held now have a vintage class so I would suggest taking your post vintage machines and ride them. I have ridden a couple modern trials on my classic class Bultaco and would consider the sections as equal or harder then AHRMA 2 line. Again anyone riding a post vintage machine would be bored and unhappy at an AHRMA event.
That's why there are splits in the sections. The disparity between riders and bikes abilities is no greater in vintage Trials than in modern Trials. When I set a modern Trial I acommodate everone from kids on small bikes to old men and women on trail bikes to national level Trials riders.
If Cody Webb came to one of our local events he and I would ride the same loop and sections, on different lines. Comparing the two of us is at least as inequitable as comparing a rigid Norton to a modern Trials bike.
If Ahrma has a "tough time creating sections" they might consider making some changes that would get more people involved in the sport, like acommodating the same vintage Trials bikes as the race bikes they acommodate. More riders involved equals more spectators, observers, and helpers to set meets.
There would also likely be more vintage racers interested in riding the Trials. I see lots of late 70s and early 80s MX bikes at AHRMA events. I suspect those riders are more likely to be interested in riding an SWM than a James.

lamotovita screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 07:23 AM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote