View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #31
corndog67 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
Well, started this game in 1967 at age 8.
Like most others that have been riding & racing in the dirt I could never even begin to count how many times I've eaten dirt.
Street, unfortunately for me my latest one was just this past Saturday on my 2003 ZRX 1200 being a complete & total ASSHOLE. I was just going to go for a easy ride down my most favorite road to see how my throttle sync. worked. The sync worked perfect.
Problem was the jerk-off behind the bars.
I was almost to the other end of this 10 miles of curvy bliss that I ride almost every day, and I see three sporty bikes going the other way at an OK pace. I don't have to tell you what I did.
After passing the 3 of 'em showing them who had the biggest dick, I then showed them I was a dick. I hit a patch of sand in a right-hander where I have NEVER encountered sand before, at full lean, around 100 mph.
The good news here is that I have FINALLY learned a lesson.
Almost nobody just walks away from a crash on a little 2-laner in the woods at those kind of speeds. It happens, sure, but not often. All I got was some nasty road rash where my (stupidly) BDU clad leg got caught under the quickly sliding ZRX, some more where I wore through the (once) nice Vanson jacket at the elbow, some where the (very good) gloves twisted just a hair so that the heavy padding was exactly just past where I needed it, black ass cheek, & sore all over. Destroyed a 2 week old Arai.
Before the other guy's were even off their bikes I was up and like.........................WTF?????? What made me crash??? Well, I found out. Ego+stupid+big speed+sand=hurt rider & pretty used looking ZRX.
I've had other crashes on the street with only one way back in 1980, and one in 2006 on my KTM 950, being caused by the rider-ME. All the others had liquids from other vehicles, or once, avoiding a DUMP TRUCK on my side of the road coming around a blind turn.
Road-racing meant quite a few get-offs because I wanted only one trophy.............1st.
Anywho, I'm now a reformed rider because as stupid as I was on Saturday morning past, I'm smart enough to know that I've probably used up most of my luck. I love my wife too much! And my friends, and my pets. I have a very good life. It's not like I'm going to stop riding, or even riding at a "brisk" pace, but the stupid fast race track speed stuff on the road is officially OVER. I'll be saving to 90 to 95% kind of riding for the woods
I'm grateful to be alive to type this shit!

Ride On!
Chris

PS...I think I came off around 9 or 10 times on the street. Race-track....uh, a few more.
OCF guy, you've mentioned something that has been on my mind lately. Recently, in the Bay Area, a lady was killed when she hit a pallet on the freeway while riding her motorcycle. Purely chance happening, could've been me or anyone here. What really worries me, is my wife getting a knock at the door, or the Sheriffs call, telling her that I've been killed. Really, I don't worry about crashing and dying very much, but I do worry about what would happen with her, and it fuckin' kills me. So much so, that I'm thinking about selling my KTM and quitting riding on the street, so much shit can happen that is beyond our control. You could be the safest, most proficient rider out there, and BAM!, fuckin' pallet knocks you under a truck. I've been doing this for 41 years, it's all I've ever really done. But I still go back to thinking about the knock at the door that ladies family got, or her parents, or whoever.

Fuck.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote