View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #48
Sir. Waffles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Vermont Mountains, Hot Air Balloons, and Covered Bridges

With Mrs. Waffles in grad school spare time for vacation is hard to come by, with a break in semesters we marked a motorcycle trip up on the calendar. We had optimistically added Quechee, Vermont's Hot Air Balloon Festival to our calendar last year too. Luckily for us the Hot Air Balloon Festival coincided with her break and we made plans for central, VT.

We had a 3 three hour direct ride to Quechee and another half hour to get to Silver Lake State Park, where we would make camp for the weekend. So with all day to get there I planned a scenic route. Plus I found a map of of NH and VT covered bridges so we hit a few along few along the way.

When I say a few I mean 17, is that excessive? We didn't hit them all but got good a portion of them.

I think Mrs.Waffles is as taken aback as I am, there is just something about covered bridges. There pretty much all unique, you never know what you'll find, and in some of the most beautiful and remote places.

Didn't even know they made covered train bridges. It's supposedly the oldest covered train bridge in the world.

Time for some lunch, sandwiches and espresso.

Yeah we like covered bridges

Riding up to the covered bridge above we came across a sign like the one below. We found it particularly funny, probably because it was the first we ever saw. Somehow we missed getting a picture of it but we laughed about it all day.

Having a good time.

So far Vermont has is my favorite state in New England. I still have a lot of exploring to do but VT has yet to let me down. Every road has been a good one, with good views, little traffic, and packed dirt roads rather than gravel. Just to name a few.

Not my favorite covered bridge from the trip but it defiantly made for a good picture.

Another covered train bridge, probably my favorite bridge from the trip.

Mmm, Dirt Roads,

There are surprises everywhere. This was down a side road, I blew right past it but luckily she got a view of it and motioned for me to turn around.

We are about cover bridged out but still having a good time.

Mrs. Waffles after we head down a dirt/mud path to get better view.

It was worth it!

After getting to Quechee for the 6pm Balloon launch, we end up waiting for a few hours, to find out they couldn't launch the balloons due to weather. The wind has to be pretty much stagnant, hence the reason they do it at sunrise and sunset. We called it a day and headed to camp. Making it to Silver Lake just before dark. We were able to setup our tent while there was still light out and munch down on some hot dogs around the fire.

We planned to make the god awfully early 6am, balloon launch the next morning. It wouldn't have been that bad except for the 30-40 minute ride to Quechee plus parking, and the shuttle to the fest. We ended up leaving about 4:30 the next morning but it was worth it.

They started less than 100ft away and worked they way back through the field taking off.

More to come....

Sir. Waffles screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 06:39 AM
Sir. Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote