View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #65
esp41
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsherman View Post
I think I just read in another thread that you all are running the tat with just the GPS tracks from Sam? Meaning, no maps/roll charts from Sam with additional locational info.

I will be running first three states in August with just the GPS tracks and was wondering what your thoughts are on it thus far. Able to find fuel and lodging ok? Know when and where to get off (and not a get off for swimming exercise like your video portrays)?

Anyways, I am enjoying the RR, stay safe!

We are using Montana GPS and Scala G9 communication system. We zoom to 300 ft and stay near the track line. The track line follows points on the road, not the road. So sometimes the purple line is next to the road you are on.

Once you figure it out, it works OK. If there are two of you, have the guy in back zoom out their GPS a bit more than the guy in front. It will help.

We do the zoom out thing when it is time to eat or sleep. Just head for the nearest "bigger" town. It has worked so far, but once we get farther west we will need to plan ahead better.

We carry camping gear including food. We also have 3 liter hydration packs. Except for fuel, we have a backup system for sleep.

As for fuel, we start looking after about 100 miles. I can go 200 miles on my Husky. Kirkster can make 250 on his. I carry an extra quart of fuel. We will carry 2 quarts of fuel once we get to Colorado.
1993 Harley Heritage Classic
Tomos ST

esp41 screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 05:05 AM
esp41 is offline   Reply With Quote