View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Osadabwa OP
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 198
Thumb Dar Bikers in Western Tanzania, AKA the "Lound of Rakes Tlip, 2013"

So we set out for some of Africa's iconic lakes. We would follow tracks we knew were good, and some from Google Earth we hoped existed. There were seven of us, and our plan was to ride around Lake Rukwa to Lake Tanganyika and finish up at Lake Nyasa/Malawi if all would go according to plan.

Above: The route starting in Mbeya and rocking counter-clockwise around L. Rukwa to L. Tanganyika, down to L. Niassa back up to Mbeya

But with us, things rarely go according to plan. There was insult and injury, sound and fury, and blood, sweat and beers. Nevertheless, we did see our lakes, and had a hell of an adventure doing it.

So, enjoy the teaser pics while I try to put together a ride report. There are a lot of good photos and some uncharacteristically good helmet-cam footage to comb through, so it could take some time. Be prepared for tse tse fly bites, river mishaps, mishkaki and chips mayayi, Konyagi and Splite and warm Kilimanjaro, a Cobra, a wicked tall suspension bridge, long days of deep bush, broken bikes and broken bones, beautiful lakeside sunsets and ugly, dusty faced Dar Bikers.

Karibuni.

Above: Some food, some riding and a bit of river SCUBA diving

Above: An erect reptile, deep bush and a busy KTM mechanic

Above: Ominous words and some lake shore scenery

Above: A bit of everything you want in an African ride

That's all for now.

Link to Day 0
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.

Osadabwa screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 03:20 AM
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote