View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #78067
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'm impressed by the high mileage DR owners have achieved. The comments about lubing the swing arm,
My swing arm bearings were ok when I checked and greased them. My desk puter died so I can't look up when that happened; somewhere around 30k miles IIRC
Quote:
steering head
My steering head bearings needed to be greased before I got to them, and should be done before 20K (again, I can't look at my records). I had seen this posted before and those posts were correct; Zuki didn't waste any money on greasing the steering head.
Quote:
and wheel bearings has me wondering:
The stock single seal wheel bearings have a pretty good reputation for long life. I replaced mine because I spend too much time on the internet and had seen them mentioned a few times (looks like 20,800 miles, on the box in the drawer). All four were in good condition when removed. I replaced the stockers with an aftermarket brand with double seals. Then I read on the internet that the ones I used were 'of questionable quality'. So many thousands of miles later (looks like 8k, another old box in the drawer), I decided to go back to the OEM bearings, this time double sealing them, using seals off of the old bearings; like this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=81

Every time you have a wheel off, stick a finger in the bearings and spin them, feeling for notchiness. If there's ANY roughness, replace them as soon as possible.

Quote:
Is there a specific grease for each of these?
Idealistically, yes. But NASA doesn't read this thread.
Quote:
What do you use?
My newest favorite is a marine grease, I think from Pep Boys. It's soft and gushy, easy to knead into the bearing rollers; unlike some of the stiff wheel bearing stuff with the consistency of roofing tar.

Quote:
I have a can of waterproof wheel bearing grease that I use for my boat trailer bearings. Are there any attributes lacking in that?
If you're happy with it for the boat trailer, and since it's waterproof, sounds good to me.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote