View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #2496
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBOYhenson View Post
can anyone here (who has some first hand experience) compare and contrast the motor used in the 450RR to the motor used in the 2013/14 450 xc-f? i've been told the 450 sx-f motor was the basis of development for the 450 RR by the local KTM regional representative. But, I don't think that's right?

I'm looking at buying a 450 XC-f as the basis for a desert race / rally bike. I know the xc-f has the sx-f engine, so my question is how close is this motor to the one being used/tested/raced in the Dakar (and other similarly grueling) race(s).

Thanks in advance for your input.

john
I take my hat off to you John. By including the bit about "first hand experience" you have cut off 99.5% of the responses you were going get.
I'll dig out some details for you, but rest assured there are a fair few differences between a 450 Rally motor and a SX-f motor. I have seen both close-up and personal, including the insides, but even better I know someone that has grafted a 450 Rally motor into an XC-f frame. (Actually it's for sale at the moment and I'll find a link to it for you). There are many considerations that the average punter that doesn't have the "hands on experience" wouldn't even think of.
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote