View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #31
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I live a few miles north of Deals Gap and yesterday I rode down to Highlands, NC to have lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I took Deals Gap then got on 28 and followed that all the way to Highlands. The section of 28 south of 19/74 is really twisty, and unlike the Dragon this section has a 50mph speed limit. Of course, the NC asphalt isn't as good as TN so at times 50 wasn't even possible but it was nice being able to ride at a nice pace and not worry about getting pulled over. I took a different route back from Highlands, going through Cashiers and Cherokee then up and over the Smokies at Newfound Gap,where the elevation is a little over 5,000 feet and the temps are a good 20 degrees cooler. On the way way down from Newfound Gap I was heading into som rain so I pulled over to put on the rain gear I had remembered to put in my saddle bag. Crap. I had put it in the saddle bag of another bike. I put my iPod into my Tennessee GoreTex® (ziplock bag) and rode through about 15 minutes of torrential traffic stopping rain along Little River Road, which was quickly turning into Big River Road with all the rain. It stopped raining about 40 miles from home and I was able to stand on the pegs and go from drenched to damp by the time I got home.

Total distance was 255 miles, and it was great!